As the leaves start to turn and the grasshoppers continue their nighttime choruses, Autumn is approaching in less than a month. September 23rd, to be exact! This is our favorite time of year and we hope that you enjoy it as well! With cooler days, and even cooler nights, it becomes a little more bearable to take the family for outings around town. Kids, or no kids, Georgia has a plethora of options! From farmers markets, fishing, festivals, and corn mazes, to concerts, sales, and exhibits.
In this post, we have compiled a list of links for you to hopefully help in your search and decisions of where to go and what to do. Here at Georgia Health Insurance, we encourage quality time and making lasting memories with your loved ones.
The Colors of North Georgia
Fall in North Georgia is iconic. The mountains and valleys turn beautiful shades of red, orange, and yellow. The best part is that anyone can enjoy this beautiful time of year in North Georgia.
There are endless opportunities for fun and adventure. Make the most of the amazing sights and weather this fall!
Fishing in the Fall
My personal favorite way to experience both the great weather and beautiful sights that fall offers is by fishing! It is just an amazing way to escape the sights and sounds of the city. Being able to enjoy the peace of the mountains, the soothing sounds of the river and the challenge of catching some of Georgia’s wily trout is a memorable experience.
Here are some of my favorite locations:
Toccoa River – You can fish this river above or below Blue Ridge Lake. You will catch plenty of rainbow trout with a chance at a large brown trout. The Toccoa has many feeder creeks that you can explore as well. As a plus, Blueridge is a neat town!
Chattahoochee River – Visit Helen and fish, all in the same day! The river runs right through town and is full of fish. Go a bit north into the WMA to get away from the crowds.
Tallulah River – Lots of pretty scenery and great fishing. You can catch the elusive brook trout in this river as well!
Are you the adventurous type? Then search google maps for small streams and go explore! For an exhaustive list check out this book, “Trout Fishing in North Georgia.”
Farmers Markets, Festivals and Corn Mazes
Fall offers the perfect weather to enjoy shopping at a Farmers Market! Not only will you find unique food, you will be supporting your local farmers, meeting new friends and learning about your community! Here is a full list of Community Farmers Markets in Georgia: http://agr.georgia.gov/community-farmers-markets.aspx
Funnel cakes, cotton candy, and picture-perfect Ferris wheels at sunset! If you’re looking for a festival, check out this link for the 55+ Best Fall Festivals in Georgia: https://365atlantatraveler.com/fall-festivals-in-georgia/
Corn mazes!! Take your family and friends for a fun day of getting lost and found in one of Georgia’s many corn mazes! We did a nighttime corn maze at Jaemor Farms last year and we had a blast! This is a great outdoor activity to do with children of all ages. If you are really brave you could try a haunted corn maze as well! Take your pick: https://365atlantatraveler.com/corn-mazes-in-ga/
Looking for something a bit different? Try one of these events:
- Looking for a new pet fish?? Who isn’t! Here is a sale you might want to check out: https://atlantakoiclub.org/
- For the kids, here is a bug exhibit happening at Stone Mountain: http://events.exploregwinnett.org/event/megabugs_at_stone_mountain_park#.XWgf0uhKjIU
- Like racing? Check out this child-friendly, group-friendly event: http://roadatlanta.com/
- For man’s best friend, brought to you by Woofstock, check out this Pet Party in the Park September 28 & 29: https://star941atlanta.radio.com/woofstock
- Star Wars fan? This is a must for you: https://www.atlantasymphony.org/ConcertsAndTickets/Calendar/2019-2020/Star-Wars-and-More
- Want to take part in the nations biggest volunteer event? Check this out and give back to your community! https://www.nps.gov/subjects/npscelebrates/public-lands-day.htm
- Got the Blues? Here is a concert you might enjoy: https://concerts1.livenation.com/event/0E0056CC0CA58540
- Wine festivals? Yes please! https://www.bigtickets.com/events/assc/sandy-springs-wine-fest-2019/ or https://www.eventbrite.com/e/7th-annual-beltline-wine-stroll-tickets-70437266761
Now all that’s left to do is pack up the car, and GO! Have fun and be safe out there!